Thursday, January 26, 2012

Kyrie

(Cerney/Griffin/Royer) Kyrie was the first song Jimmy, Todd and I wrote together, a relationship that soon led to the formation of the band Toast – so named because of the presence of three ex-Breaddies, slightly burnt.

For a while I was going to include it on the upcoming Toast album but it’s more of a pre-Toast song than a Toast song and I can’t find the master anyway so I’m putting it out here.

Kyrie is the sweet story of a friend (I always thought it was a dad but Todd felt that would limit its chances of a cut) who finds a rodeo girl alone in her room grieving a lost love and tries to cheer her up.

When we wrote it, I was under a heavy Dave Loggins influence. Dave could write songs that were so natural and free flowing that there hardly seemed to be a form at all until you looked closely and saw the masterful construction. This was my shot at that kind of a song.

Kyrie

3 comments:

  1. It is a great song - and it grows on me with repeated listenings. Looking forward to your Toast collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to hear it but there is only a white rectangle under the name of the song at the end of your post. Is this the same song Mister Mister did? Richard Page's acoustic version is incredible. Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to see this list on the web with all the info and links. BY the way "John L's Bread Pages" has never left the web but for a few days when it disappeared from jlindquist.net (due to a hacking of Yahoo - a long story) and reappeared on jlindquist.com .
    Also, I wonder who's this character "James Lindquist" which I see on a couple Bread-related Wikipedia articles? :-)

    ReplyDelete